Monday, August 21, 2006

Preparing for Peace - Advent 2006

In creating this blog, we were bold enough to claim this as a resource for underground ministry. Our hope was to be a place for expressing our hopes and frustrations but also a catalyst for change.

I consider myself passionate about a great deal of progressive issues, particularly within the church. I studied Environmental Theology, I preach about the needs of the poor, I believe in radical inclusion within the church. But these days, my hopes and passion keeps returning to the issue of peace (as evident by previous posts).

Since folks connected with DoA are church workers, friends of churches, pastor's kids and other religious-minded folks, I am inviting all to challenge. Can you get your congregation to focus Advent 2006 as a season of peace?

Imagine, adult education talking about issues of Palestine and Israel, as we make our liturgical pilgrimage to Bethlehem. Can you see children's programs about the Prince of Peace rather than another Charlie Brown Christmas? Do you hear prayers in worship focused on peace?

My proposal: take it to your church leadership in the next month. Lots of folks feel even mentioning peace is a political act (and I think it is) which breeds resistance. So, it will take time to create partners within the church.

When your church signs on, post the name and city of the congregation here.

As we develop ideas for our own congregations - a Sunday School lesson plan, a litany, hymn ideas, whatever - post them here as well. The underground ministry of the Daughters of Amos can start a reformation of peace.

"Semper Ecclesia Reformandi"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home